How to Use
Text-only version of Document 1
1. The man who signed the memorandum, Christian A. Herter, was the well-respected secretary of state. Why would it be his job to set up an agenda for the Camp David meeting?
2. Why would it have been desirable to have an agenda for the meeting between Eisenhower and Khrushchev? In what ways could a formal agenda work against diplomacy?
3. What subject do you think was most important? Why?
4. Why would the leaders have needed experts for some meetings?
5. Why do you think this document was marked "Secret"? Why do you think it was declassified in 1987?
* The images on the screen have a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain high resolution versions of page 1, page 2, and page 3, but be aware that each page will take about a minute to load with a 28.8K modem.