Painting 2: After the Ride by J. Alden Weir,
about 1903, oil on canvas, 24 1/8 x 34 1/4 in., signed.
Questions for Painting 2
1. Examine Painting 2, After the Ride, and compare it with Photo 2 showing the girl on the horse.
2. What is the subject of this painting?
3. How does it compare with the photograph? What does this tell you about Impressionist technique? For example, how does Weir communicate the grass at the girl’s feet?
4. Do you think Weir distorted details too far beyond reality? What is your opinion of the work?
* The painting on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high quality version of Painting 2, but be aware that the file will take as much as 35 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.