How to Use
An image of a transcript for Document 2 is provided to help answer the questions below.
Questions for Document 2
1. Using a dictionary, write down the definitions of the nautical terms in the journal entry that are unfamiliar to you.
2. Why might shipmasters have kept daily journals?
3. What were the general weather conditions over the six days recorded in the journal?
4. What do you think life was like on a 19th-century schooner or ship? How might that compare with life on a ship today?
* The document on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high quality version of Document 2, but be aware that the file will take as much as 60 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.