Document 1: Archeological Artifacts.
Source: South, Stanley; Skowronek, Russell K.; and Johnson, Richard E., "Spanish Artifacts from Santa Elena" (1988). Anthropological Studies. Book 9. pg. 20.
Questions for Document 1
1) What do these objects have in common? Why do you think they survived the passing of time?
2) Based on the list of artifacts above, what do you think life was like for the settlers at Santa Elena? What did they eat? How did they dress? What was important to them? What did they do for fun? Explain how you came to your answers.
3) Where do you think these objects came from? List the different places you think these artifacts could have come from and give an example of an artifact for each place.
4) This list is organized into different categories by the archeologists working on the Santa Elena site. If you were working on this archeological site, how would you organize the artifacts? What is the benefit to organizing the artifacts your way?
5) This list includes a number of items found at the Santa Elena site. Based on the objects that were found, what objects can we guess the Spaniards had? For example, a chest lock implies that the Spaniards had chests. What else?
* Click for a .TIF file version of Document 1.