Map 1: Nike-Hercules Sites in Alaska.
Nike sites were anti-aircraft missile bases that protected the United States during the Cold War with Russia. Nike bases were built in rings around areas that needed protection, like military bases and big cities.
Questions for Map 1
1) Find Alaska on a world map. What countries is it close to? What strategic role would Alaska play in a war with Russia?
2) Why do you think the Alaskan Nike sites were built in Fairbanks and Anchorage?
3) How might new military bases near a city affect the community? What do you think the people in Anchorage thought of Site Point, Site Bay, and Site Summit?
4) What effects do you think the Cold War may have had on Alaska and Alaskans?
* Click for larger versions of Map 1.