Map 1: Baltimore and Fort McHenry in 1814
(National Park Service)
Questions for Map 1
2. Find the Chesapeake Bay on Map 1. Next find the Patapsco River and Baltimore. How far is Baltimore from the Bay?
3. Baltimore was an important center for shipping. In what ways do you think the city’s location might be good for merchants? How might it create problems?
4. Why do you think Fort McHenry was located where it is?
5. Find Lazaretto Battery. “Battery” is a term used for a group of big, long-range guns. Why do you think the Lazaretto Battery might have been located where it was?
* Click for a larger version of Map 1