How to Use
Locating the Site
Map 1: Civil War prison camps.
(Andersonville National Historic Site, National Park Service)
Union and Confederate Civil War prison camps:
1. Bell IsleRichmond, Virginia
2. Cahaba PrisonCahaba, Alabama
3. Camp ChaseColumbus, Ohio
4. Camp DouglasChicago, Illinois
5. Camp FlorenceFlorence, South Carolina
6. Camp LawtonMillen, Georgia
7. Camp MortonIndianapolis, Indiana
8. Camp SumterAndersonville, Georgia
9. Castle PickneyCharleston, S.C.
10. Elmira PrisonElmira, New York
11. Johnson's IslandSandusky, Ohio
12. Libby PrisonRichmond, Virginia
13. Old Capitol PrisonWashington, D.C.
14. Point LookoutPoint Lookout, MD
15. Rock IslandRock Island, Illinois
16. SalisburySalisbury, North Carolina
Questions for Map 1
1. List the states with prison camps. Which of these states were Union and which were Confederate?
2. Find Andersonville Prison and describe its location in terms of the other Confederate prison camps.
3. What factors do you think may have influenced the placement of Civil war prison camps?
* The map on the screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch
(dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a high quality
version of the map, but be aware
that the file will take as much as two minutes to load with a 28.8K