Questions for Illustration 4
1. According to the caption, this illustration shows the retreat of the Confederate army from Corinth and the entry of Union troops. Examine the illustration closely. Describe the various activities that appear to be taking place. Do you think the image shows what the caption says? Why or why not? How does this compare to what is described in Reading 1?
2. What might have caused all the smoke visible in the illustration?
3. Based on this image and the map shown in Illustration 1, how big a town do you think Corinth was?
4. An estimated 300,000 Union and Confederate soldiers moved through Corinth during the course of the Civil War. What sort of impact do you think these troop movements would have had on the town?
* The photo on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a larger version of Illustration 4, but be aware that the file will take as much as 39 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.