Drawing 1 Key:
Drawing 1 shows the mining complex and the topography of the site. The closer the topographic lines are to one another, the steeper the terrain. The map also shows the location of the old water pipeline, which ran from Johnson Lake to the mill.
Questions for Drawing 1
1. Looking at the topographic lines, where do you think the 1935 snowslide originated from that damaged the mine beyond repair?
2. What is the advantage of placing the mill downhill from the lake?
3. Locate the adit. What is it? Why is a tram needed to transport its contents? Please refer to Reading 4 if necessary.
4. Describe the mining process at Johnson Lake Mine. Does this drawing help you better understand how the process worked? Why or why not?
* The image on this screen has a resolution of 72 dots per inch (dpi), and therefore will print poorly. You can obtain a larger version of Drawing 1, but be aware that the file will take as much as 30 seconds to load with a 28.8K modem.