Rotating images of the Alfred
Shaker village, including a historic sketch of the village
and historic photos of the Sister's Shop and a Dwelling c1880
Photographs courtesy of the Maine Historic Preservation
What would become the first and largest Shaker society in Maine,
the Alfred Shaker community had both a very humble beginning and
an even more disappointing end. Receiving the faith from Mother
Ann on May 26th, 1783, John Cotton became the first Shaker convert
in Maine. While the birth of the Alfred Shaker society came in
1783, the physical development of the community did not get underway
until 1793 with the construction of the Meetinghouse. Spread out
over 300 acres, the Alfred Shaker Historic District includes a
variety of significant religious buildings such as the community's
Dairy/Bakery, Cow Barn, School, Trustee's Office, Sisters' Shop,
and Brethren's Shop.
Not only a collection of buildings, the Alfred community also
consisted of large tracts of land--agricultural fields used by
the Shakers themselves. Focused on maintaining a productive economy,
the Shakers of Alfred not only worked in agriculture, but also
ventured into the realms of woodworking, textiles, and tanning.
However, while this diversity proved beneficial for a time, the
community failed because it was unable to excel in any one particular
endeavor. In effect extending themselves beyond the community's
capabilities, the Alfred Shakers brought about their own demise.
Suffering from growing economic competition on both the mechanical
and agricultural fronts, the Alfred Shakers abandoned their community.
Rather than lose their faith, however, the devoted followers journeyed
to New Gloucester and settled as part of the Sabbathday
Lake society in March 1931.
Cow Barn at Alfred Shaker village
Photograph courtesy of the Maine Historic Preservation
The Shakers' legacy in Alfred was preserved by the Brothers of Christian
Instruction, to whom the Shakers left their buildings and land,
and who have effectively maintained the many agricultural fields
once tended by Shaker hands. Equally devoted to the preservation
of the history of the Alfred Shaker Historic District, the Friends
of the Alfred Shaker Museum continue to educate interested individuals
about the history of this religious society, through acts such as
the current restoration of the 1875 Carriage House.
Carriage House at Alfred
-- currently being restored for interpretation
Photograph by Kirk F. Mohney, from National Register collection