Calumet Hotel sits at the corner of Hiawatha Ave. and Main
Courtesy of Lorraine Draper
The Calumet Hotel was built by Close Brothers and Co., an English
land speculating company which helped Pipestone prosper in the late
19th century. This Richardsonian Romanesque influenced building
dominates the downtown historic district of Pipestone. Its outstanding
features are the large quartzite arch over the northwest door, the
northeast corner door, the north crenelated cornice, the restored
oriel window on the second floor northeast corner and the two engraved
name plates near the top of the north facade. Its light pink jasper
quartzite exterior contrasts with the darker red Sioux quartzite
stone used for most buildings downtown.
Historic images of the hotel from
1902 and from 1910 with a parade passing by
Courtesy of Pipestone County Historical Society and Pipestone
Pipestone needed a hotel because of the increased railway traffic
that passed through this growing midwestern town. The Close Brothers
originally built a three-story Sioux quartzite building in 1883,
but three years later fire totally destroyed the venture. The hotel
reopened on Thanksgiving Day, 1888 and had accommodations for 50
guests. The First National Bank had its headquarters in the Calumet's
first floor and basement. In 1899 a three-story addition to the
south provided more guest rooms. The addition can be distinguished
from the original building by the first floor window caps, which
are round instead of square. A second addition in 1913 added the
fourth floor, making a total of 90 guest rooms and maids' quarters.
The original oriel window and balcony were removed in 1912. The
First National Bank was one of about 30 businesses to occupy space
in the Calumet's first floor and basement. One of the more unusual
business ventures housed in the building was the 14-hole Bobby Links
miniature golf course, which was located in the basement in 1914.
Although the owners had deemed the hotel fireproof, in February
1944 a fire gutted all floors of the south section. Repairs were
made and the hotel reopened in April of that year. During the next
30 years the hotel's business declined and the building deteriorated.
By 1978, the State Fire Marshall deemed the hotel unsafe and closed
it. After an extensive rehabilitation between 1979 and 1981, which
included replicating the oriel window, the hotel reopened in 1981.
The Historic Calumet Inn has regained popularity and currently features
guest rooms furnished with antique furniture, a lower level bar,
lounge and restaurant.
The Calumet Hotel is located at 104 W. Main St. and is open
to the public. Call 800-535-7610 or visit www.calumetinn.com/index.htm
for further information.