The Henry Sleight House, a beautiful example of Dutch Colonial and English Colonial building styles, was built prior to 1695 on a triangular lot within the stockade district. Burned by the British along with the rest of the Stockade, the house was later rebuilt and occupied by Village President Hendricus (Henry) Sleight. Like many of the other buildings within the Stockade District, the Sleight House has been used for many different purposes, but by 1900, the Sleight House had fallen into neglect and was in danger of being demolished. The Wiltwych Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution saved the building from destruction, and paid for the complete restoration of the building's interior and exterior. The Daughters of the American Revolution was founded in 1890 and incorporated by an Act of Congress in 1896. The DAR works today to "perpetuate the memory and spirit of the men and women who achieved American Independence" by supporting diverse avenues of knowledge--schools, scholarships and museums--and through far-reaching efforts to promote American freedom, traditions and citizenship. Historic preservation has long been a priority for the DAR and the stewardship of American history continues into the present. Offering tours by appointment and genealogical research resources, the Wiltwych Chapter's ownership and care of the Sleight House exemplifies how preservation efforts can benefit a community.
Henry Sleight House
Photograph by John E. Reinhardt
The Henry Sleight House is located in the Stockade Historic District at 3 Crown Street, at the corner of Green Street. It is open to the public by appointment only.