An unaltered example of a mid-19th-century country church, this diminutive building was erected c.1857 to serve a small but active community of the Christian denomination in the rural neighborhood of Somerset. With its bracketed cornice and porch echoing the Italian villa influence, the prominently sited church is a stylistic departure from the Greek Revival and Gothic modes that characterized most Virginia country churches of the period. The interior retains its original furnishings, including its pews, still decorated with painted wood graining. Maintained by a dedicated congregation, the church now holds regular Sunday services following a period of sporadic use.
The Somerset Christian Church is located on State Rte. 231, north of its intersection with State Rte. 20, 1500 ft. south of the Rapidan River. It is not open to the public.