This rural district incorporates the Oatlands estate and several associated historic properties. The site of Oatlands Mills, a milling complex established by George Carter of Oatlands in the early 19th century, is at the southern end, along Goose Creek. The large mill was destroyed in 1905, leaving today only a small ruin and extensive archaeological remains. Surviving from the village of Oatlands nearby are several houses and the Episcopal Church of Our Savior, a simple brick structure erected in 1878. A later parish hall stands next to it. At the northern end of the district, on Route
15, is the Mountain Gap School, the county's last operating one-room school when it closed in 1953. Most of the property in the historic district is protected by preservation easements or is owned by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
The Oatlands Historic District is located south of Leesburg off Rte. 15. There are no organized tours of the district available at this time.