This Northern Virginia county, formed from Fairfax County
1757, was named for John Campbell, fourth Earl of Loudoun, who was commander
of British forces in North America during the early part of the French
and Indian War and Governor of Virginia in 1756-59. The county seat
PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY
Named for William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland and third
son of King George II, this Northern Virginia county was formed from
Stafford and King George counties in 1730. Its county seat is Manassas.
Named for Francis Fauquier, Lieutenant Governor of Virginia from
1758 to 1768, this Northern Virginia county, known for its numerous
estates, was formed in 1759 from Prince William County. Its county
seat is Warrenton.
Formed from Orange County in 1749, Culpeper County probably was named
for Thomas Culpeper, second Baron Culpeper of Thoresway, Governor
of Virginia from 1677 to 1683, whose family long held proprietary
rights in the Northern Neck. The county seat is Culpeper.
In the hills of the Piedmont, against the Blue Ridge Mountains, Madison
County was formed from Culpeper County in 1792 and was named for James
Madison, who then represented the area in Congress. The county seat
Formed from Spotsylvania County in 1734, this pastoral Piedmont county
probably was named for William IV, Prince of Orange-Nassau, who married
Princess Anne, eldest daughter of King George II, that same year.
Its county seat is Orange.
Located in the heart of the Virginia Piedmont, this rural county
was named in honor of Princess Louisa, a daughter of King George II.
It was formed from Hanover County in 1742. Its county seat is Louisa.
This Piedmont county was named for William Anne Keppel, second
Earl of Albemarle and Governor of the Virginia colony from 1737 to 1754.
It was formed from Goochland County in 1744, with part of Louisa County
added later. The county seat is Charlottesville.
Fluvanna County takes its name from the 18th-century term
for the upper James River, meaning "river of Anne," in honor of Queen
Anne. It was formed from Albermarle County in 1777. The county seat