Rockland takes its
name from the limestone outcroppings permeating the 600-acre farm. General
George Rust, a prominent Loudoun County gentleman, replaced deteriorating
wooden structures with this imposing brick mansion in 1822. Of large scale
and with boldly detailed woodwork, the house is one the finest of several
important Federal plantation dwellings in the area. Gen. Rust's son Col.
Armistead T. M. Rust, an 1842 West Point graduate who served with the
19th Virginia infantry during the
Photograph courtesy of Virginia Department of Historic Resources
Civil War, later inherited the property. His death in 1887 left his second
wife, Ida Lee, with 14 children and an encumbered estate. Exuding tremendous
energy and business acumen, she repaid the debt and educated her youngest
children. She sent her sons west at age 15 to escape the hardships of
Reconstruction. Her son Edwin enlarged Rockland around 1908. Rockland
remains owned by Rust family descendants.
Rockland: View of Servants Quarters
Photograph from National Register collection, courtesy of Division
of Historic Landmarks
Rockland is located on the east side of Rte. 15 north of Leesburg.
It is a private residence and is not open to the public.