The land that forms Appomattox Manor, at the confluence of the Appomattox and James rivers, is one of the oldest extant estates in America; the property was patented in 1635 by Francis Eppes and remained in the Eppes family until 1979. The area around the plantation was first settled in 1613 and was first known as Bermuda City and later as City Point. The sprawling frame house of the Eppes family is the result of several enlargements made to the original 1763 dwelling. The surrounding outbuildings were constructed in the 19th century. During the American Revolution, British troops under the command of Benedict Arnold marched through the plantation. Other branches of the Eppes family constructed plantation homes along the Appomattox River, including Weston Manor and Eppington.
Appomattox Manor became the headquarters of General Ulysses S. Grant from June 1864 until April 1865. Grant occupied a tent, and later a cabin, while he commanded the Union Army in the final months of the Civil War. President Abraham Lincoln visited General Grant in the drawing room of the house in 1864 and 1865. Appomattox Manor is now administered as a historic house museum by the City Point Unit of the Petersburg National Battlefield.
Appomattox Manor, administered by the National Park Service's Petersburg National Battlefield as Appomattox Plantation, is located on the north side of VA Rte. 10, in Hopewell. It is open daily for tours, 9:00am to 5:00pm, closed Dec. 25 and Jan 1. Please call 804-458-9504 or visit the park's website Appomattox Manor has also been documented by the Historic American Buildings Survey.
James Home | List of Sites | Maps| Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home | Next Site
Essays: Architecture | Colonization| The Gentry|
Comments or Questions