Fort Matanzas National Monument, administered by the National Park Service, takes its name from the Spanish word for "slaughter." At this site in 1565 in an effort to protect their territorial claims from the French, Spanish forces killed 250 French Huguenots. Fort Matanzas, constructed from 1737 to 1742, was part of an important Spanish defense network which included nearby Castillo de San Marcos. Like Castillo de San Marcos and Fort Caroline, Fort Matanzas represents the struggle between European nations for possession of the New World.
Fort Matanzas is at 8635 A1A South, approximately 15 miles south of St. Augustine, FL. Open daily 9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m and closed December 25. A visitors center is on Anastasia Island off Florida A1A. The fort can be reached by ferry. For more information, visit the National Park Service website, Fort Matanzas National Monument, or call 904-471-0116.