Fort Frederica National Monument, administered by the National Park Service, is located on St. Simon's Island and interprets the struggle between Great Britain and Spain for domination of the New World. Fort Frederica was the focus of defense for the fledgling English colony of Georgia. The remains of the fortified settlement, established in 1736 by the founder of Georgia, Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe, include ruins of the fort, barracks, walls, moat, and several houses. The fort was established at a time when Great Britain, France and Spain all claimed the area. In 1742, a British victory over the Spanish at the Battle of Bloody Marsh secured Britain's hold on Georgia. The battle site is six miles south of Fort Frederica. The fort and town fell into decline after Oglethorpe's regiment was disbanded in 1749 and a 1758 fire destroyed most of the buildings.
Fort Frederica is on St. Simon's Island, 12 miles from Brunswick. It can be reached by traveling on US 17 and the Brunswick-St. Simons Causeway. A visitors center, just east of the townsite, is open daily 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (912) 638-3639. Admission. For more information visit the National Park Service's website, Fort Frederica, or call 912-638-3639.
Fort Frederica National Monument is the subject of an online-lesson plan produced by Teaching with Historic Places, a National Register program that offers classroom-ready lesson plans on properties listed in the National Register. To learn more, visit the Teaching with Historic Places home page.