12) Hamilton Plantation
Located on St. Simons Island, the remains of this antebellum plantation contain two surviving slave cabins, originally a set of four built before 1833. Among the better surviving slave cabins in the South, they are made of tabby, a cement consisting of lime, water, and crushed oyster shells. The cabins have built-in windows and a central chimney. James Hamilton Couper, namesake of the owner and manager of the plantation, was an architect and a builder. He designed and built the cabins to house the slaves who served in the plantation's main house. Utilizing a duplex plan to house more than one family, the cabins were originally part of a planned community of slave dwellings.
The Hamilton Plantation site and slave cabins are on Arthur J. Moore Drive on the west side of St. Simons Island, 12 miles east of Brunswick. The island can be reached by traveling on US Highway 17 and the Brunswick-St. Simons Causeway.