The Fireman's Drinking
Fountain was dedicated in 1909 by Hose Company # 1, Slatington.
The 12 foot high statue was purchased from J. W. Fiske Iron
Works, New York City, for $700 and depicts a volunteer fireman
carrying a child on his left arm and holding a lantern in his
right hand. The lantern is illuminated with an electric light
bulb at night. Erected in the center of the Borough of Slatington,
to supply a public water source on Main Street, the fountain
was designed to provide a drinking fountain for people and a
drinking area for horses and dogs. The purchase price was raised
through the donations of many local residents. The statue was
intended to be symbol of volunteer service, vigilance, and humanity.
It does not memorialize a deceased firefighter, but instead
honors the living as well as the spirit of voluntary service
in the Slatington region. The importance of this statue to Slatington
was demonstrated when it was damaged in October, 1979 by an
automobile. Through a tremendous community effort the Fireman's
Drinking Fountain was restored to its original form, and rededicated
on July 19, 1980.
Views of the Fireman's
Drinking Fountain including a historic image, c.1910
by Carol Lee, historic photograph from the National
The Fireman's Drinking Fountain is located on Main St.,
adjacent to the Slatington Public Library, in Slatington.
Corridor Home | Map
| List of Sites |
Learn More | Itineraries | NR
Home | Next Site