Mission San Luis Rey was established by Father Fermin de Lasuen in 1798. The present San Luis Rey Mission Church, a National Historic Landmark, was constructed between 1811 and 1815--the third church at the site. In 1893, the mission was re-dedicated as a Franciscan college and renovation of the mission buildings began. The mission now serves as a Parish church, retreat, conference center, and museum.
Mission San Luis Rey is four miles east of Oceanside on CA 76 at 4050 Mission Ave. The mission museum is open 10:00am to 4:30pm daily; there is a fee for admission. For more information call 760-757-3651 or visit the mission's website.