The Royal Presidio Chapel, a National Historic Landmark, was constructed of stone in the 1790s. It is the only structure remaining from the Spanish Presidio of Monterey, founded in 1770, and the only remaining chapel associated with a presidio in California. The first chapel was constructed of wood in 1770, and replaced by an adobe building that was later destroyed by fire. The present adobe chapel was constructed from 1791-1795. The chapel was designed in Mexico City at the Academy of San Carlos and constructed using Native American labor under the direction of master stonemason Manuel Ruiz. The main facade of the chapel is embellished with pilasters, decorative niches, and sculpture. When the Presidio was abandoned, all of the buildings except for the chapel fell into ruin.
The Royal Presidio Chapel, the last remaining 18th century Spanish structure remaining in the area, is located at 550 Church St. in Monterey. The Chapel is part of the Monterey State Historic Park. For more information visit the website or call 831-373-2628.