Mission San Miguel, founded in 1797 by Father Fermin de Lasuen, was one of the last of California's missions to be secularized. It was reactivated in 1878 after nearly three decades of abandonment. Mission San Miguel, named for St. Michael the Archangel, is known for its well-preserved wall murals. Of the original 21 Spanish missions of "Alta California," San Miguel has the best examples of Spanish wall paintings. The paintings were executed by Esteban Munras of Monterey, with the help of Indians living at the misssion. The mission complex consists of an impressive open court, surrounded by a colonnaded arcade of arches of varying shapes and sizes.
The Mission San Miguel, located at 775 Mission St. in San Miguel, is an active parish. There is a museum that is open 9:00am to 4:15pm daily. For more information visit the website or call 805-467-3256.