Following the destruction of its predecessor by earthquake in 1812, La Purisima Mission, a National Historic Landmark, was moved to its present location and constructed between 1813 and 1818. In 1824, news of an Indian uprising at the Santa Ynes mission sparked a revolt among La Purisima's Native American population. Numbering only 1,000, the mission Indians fortified the mission buildings and drove off a Mexican garrison. They were defeated by a Mexican force from the Presidio at Monterey. Like the other missions in the chain, La Purisima gradually fell into ruin following secularization. During the 1930s, many of the mission buildings were reconstructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps. The plan of La Purisima was unusual among California's missions as it was placed in a linear manner at the base of a hill. Restored buildings at the mission include the Padres' Residence, constructed in 1815 and restored in the 1930s; the Workshops and Soldiers' Quarters, constructed in 1816 and reconstructed in the 1940s; and the Mission Church, originally constructed 1818, collapsed 1835, and reconstructed in 1941.
La Purisima Mission State Historic Park is located at 2295 Purisima Rd. in Lompoc. Self guided tours are available 9:00am to 5:00pm daily, the park is closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day. For more information visit the website or call 805-733-3713; for group tours call 805-733-1303.