The Santa Barbara Mission, a National Historic Landmark, was the 10th of the 21 Spanish colonial missions founded in California. The mission was consecrated December 16, 1786, by Father Fermin Francisco de Lasuen. The first chapel was a palisaded log building with a grass roof and earthen floor constructed in 1787. The present church is the fourth at the site. Constructed from 1815 to 1820, it is considered the finest of all the mission buildings. Canalino Indians labored to construct the magnificent building under the supervision of Mexican master stone mason Jose Antonio Ramirez. The design of the church was based on the form of a Roman Ionic temple. Many of the Mission's associated resources still exist including the tanning vats, jail, filter house, reservoir, and aqueduct system. The original dam for the aqueduct system is located in the present day Santa Barbara Botanical Gardens.
The Santa Barbara Mission is located at 2201 Laguna St. in Santa Barbara. The mission is open for self-guided tours daily, 9:00am to 5:00 pm. Group tours can be arranged by appointment. For more information visit the website or call 805-682-4149.