Built in 1882, Stone Hall was the administration building for Atlanta
University until 1929. It is a three-story red brick Queen Anne style
building with Romanesque Revival elements. The school opened its doors
in 1869 on a campus consisting of approximately 50 acres west of downtown.
In 1929, Atlanta University united with Morehouse College and Spelman
College to form the Atlanta University Center
affiliation. Morehouse and Spelman continued to offer undergraduate
degrees while Atlanta University became the graduate school for the
other two colleges. As part of this affiliation, Atlanta University
gave up most of the buildings on its original campus and moved into
new quarters with the other two schools.
Stone Hall, Atlanta University
Courtesy of Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs
Division, Historic American Buildings Survey or Historic American
Engineering Record, Reproduction Number HABS, GA,61-ATLA,10A-12
Stone Hall is the building most closely associated with the history
of Atlanta University. It primarily functioned as the college's
administration building, but it also contained classrooms and meeting
rooms. When the colleges merged, Stone Hall was one of the buildings
leased to Morris Brown College, which changed the name of the building
to Fountain Hall. It is still used as a classroom building. Stone
Hall has undergone no exterior alteration since its construction.
The interior has seen some changes, including the installation of
modern heating, cooling and electrical systems, but the original
floor plan remains intact. Stone Hall was designated a National
Historic Landmark in 1974.
Stone Hall (Fountain Hall) is located on the grounds of Morris
Brown College at 643 Martin Luther King, Jr. Dr. Visitors to the
campus are welcome. For more information visit the Morris Brown