The Howell Station Historic District is located northwest of downtown Atlanta
in an area dominated by light industry associated with the development
of Marietta Street. The district consists of intact residential buildings,
a recreational park, and four churches in a historically blue-collar
neighborhood. Almost all of the built environment here constructed
before the Civil War, including plantation and farm houses, was destroyed
during General William T. Sherman's March to the Sea in 1864. Interest
in the area was renewed when real estate developers in the 1890s laid
out a grid pattern and subdivided the land into lots. The types of
residential buildings located within the neighborhood include Shotgun,
Georgian cottage, Bungalow, Queen Anne cottage and Hall-Parlor.
lot in Howell Station Historic District
National Register photograph by Yen Tang
The neighborhood developed historically with both whites and African
Americans living in segregated areas of the neighborhood. Much of
the historically black section of the neighborhood has unfortunately
been lost due to the expansion of the Mead Packaging Corporation,
east of the district, and the Fulton County Jail, south of the district.
The remaining historically black section is characterized by narrow
lots and vernacular houses with minimal stylistic elements. The
rest of the neighborhood is characterized by larger lots with the
houses situated close to the street and uniformly set back. The
houses reflect Craftsman and Folk Victorian styles.
Historically, a row of commercial buildings fronted West Marietta
Street, although few remain intact or retain integrity today. The
commercial area consisted of two groceries, one meat market, a barber,
and a hotel. The neighborhood also had one school, Goldsmith School,
for white students, while black students had to leave the neighborhood
to attend English Avenue School or Booker T. Washington
High School. Knight Park, located in the northwest section of
the neighborhood, is an open recreational space with sloping hills
and mature trees. A community building built in 1945 is located
within the park and is used for storage. The setting outside the
neighborhood is dominated by light industry because of nearby Southern
Railway (now Norfolk Southern). The remaining commercial stores
not on West Marietta Street serve as a transition between the neighborhood
and the industries.
The Howell Station Historic District is generally bounded by
W. Marietta, Rice, Baylor and Herndon sts., Niles Cir. and Longley
Ave. The houses in the district are private residences and are not
open to the public.