The George Taverner House as it
Photograph by Terry Skibby
The George Taverner House is located on Siskiyou Boulevard where
Ashland's elite built fine homes of distinction in the early 1900s.
Architect Frank Chamberlain Clark designed the house in 1904, and
lived there for a short time after it was completed. Clark was Southern
Oregon's leading, and perhaps only professionally trained, architect
of the early 20th century. He was the student of a New Jersey architect
named Dayone, from whom he learned to combine colonial architecture
with classical detail. Clark came to Ashland in 1902 to work on
a project; impressed with the beauty of the area he settled here
and accomplished a significant body of work in the Rogue Valley.
The design of the Taverner House displays the architect's mastery
of various styles of architecture, woven into a stately composition
featuring columns with Corinthian capitals on both sides of the
staircase entrance. A distinctive feature of the house is its large
round bay, or turrent, with a conical roof and overhanging eaves.
George Taverner, who bought the house in 1907 from Clark, was a member
of the planning committee for Lithia Park when
it was formed in 1909 and also served as president of the Park Board.
Taverner worked with John McLaren, the landscape architect (also responsible
for the design of San Francisco's Golden Gate Park) up until the year
of the mammoth celebration of Lithia Park's completion in 1916. Today,
the house is still a Taverner family residence.
Historic image of the Taverner
House taken by Clark in 1904 during his residence there
Courtesy of The Terry Skibby Collection
The George Taverner House is located at 912 Siskiyou Blvd. It
is a private residence not open to the public.
Ashland Home | Main
Map | List of Sites |
Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home
| Next Site