The Pelton House was built by W.
Photograph by Terry Skibby
The John and Charlotte Pelton House was built in 1894 by Ashland
builder W. J. Schmidt. The Peltons were natives of the Rogue Valley
area; Charlotte's parents, Oscar and Lucinda Ganiard, were prominent
members of Ashland's business and real estate community. John Pelton
ran a meat business and served as Ashland's sheriff in 1892. Although
the Peltons divorced in 1901, Charlotte lived in the house until
her death in 1926. The two-story dwelling exhibits Stick style elements
including wood frame construction, steeply pitched gabled roofs,
a projecting bay, stickwork paneling, cut outs, sunbursts, and lattice
trim as well as Eastlake details. The Pelton House is T-shaped with
the parlor wing, the stem of the T, extending north toward B Street.
By its size and distinction as an example of Eastlake architecture,
the house is regarded as a pivotal building in the Railroad
Addition Historic District. A one and one-half story rental
house was also built south of the primary dwelling facing First
W. J. Schmidt, the Pelton House builder, came to Ashland in 1880,
and was responsible for the design and construction of many distinctive
houses and public buildings, including Ashland City Hall (1891), the
G. M. and Kate Grainger House (1890) and Trinity
Episcopal Church (1895). In August 1991 the Pelton House was seriously
damaged by fire, causing a concerted effort on the part of the community
to save it from demolition. The Historic Commission, City Council,
and B Street Neighborhood Association all were concerned and fortunately
the house was completely restored.
Historic image of the Pelton House,
c 1900, during the residence of Charlotte Pelton
Courtesy of The Terry Skibby Collection
The Pelton House is located at 228 B. Street. It is a private
residence and is not open to the public.