Constructed between 1874 and 1932, the Fort Apache Historic District encompasses the original site of the Fort Apache military post. Fort Apache was a major outpost during the Apache wars (1861-1886) and remained a military post until 1922. In 1923 the fort became the site of the Theodore Roosevelt Indian School. The district contains over 30 structures, ranging from a reconstruction of an early log building to original two-story dormitories. Also included are a headquarters building, sleeping quarters, corrals, storehouses, a guardhouse, a magazine, stables, an old military cemetery and prehistoric ruins.
Fort Apache Historic District is four miles south of Whiteriver, Arizona, off Arizona 73 on the Fort Apache Indian Reservation. The Fort Apache Historic Park, which include the historic district, is open 8:00am to sunset daily. Please visit Fort Apache Park's website for further information.