The Oak Hill Cemetery Chapel is the only known example of James Renwick's Gothic Revival
ecclesiastical design in Washington, DC. The one story rectangular chapel, measuring 23 by
41 feet, was built in 1850 and sits on the highest ridge of the Oak Hill Cemetery. The
beautifully proportioned chapel is considered an excellent example of Gothic Revival
Architecture, as evidenced by its steeply pitched roof, buttresses, and its pointed arched windows
with tracery. Renwick, one of the pre-eminent architects of the 19th century, designed
both the Grace Church and St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York and was the architect for the
original Smithsonian Institution.
Oak Hill Cemetery Gatehouse and Gate
Photos courtesy of the DC SHPO
The Oak Hill Cemetery was created by William W. Corcoran,
also founder of the Corcoran Gallery of Art in Washington, DC, in 1848. The chapel is one of several landmarks in the cemetery, which also includes the Van Ness Mausoleum, designed by
George Hadfield, and the monument to E.M. Stanton, President Lincoln's Secretary of War.
Oak Hill Cemetery
Photo courtesy of the DC SHPO
The Oak Hill Cemetery is located at 30th and R Sts., NW. It is open weekdays only from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm.
, Saturday from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm, Sundays and holidays from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm. It is closed for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day. Access restricted during funerals. Please visit their website for more information. Metro stop: Foggy Bottom