The chardonnay produced here beat their French counterparts in a 1976 tasting contest that put Californian wines on the map for world consumption. The Alfred L.Tubbs Winery is a 15.5-acre site located on the north slope of Mount St. Helena onTubbs Lane two miles north of the City of Calistoga, California. Built into the hillside, the 1888 two-story stone winery was designed to resemble an English Gothic castle gatehouse with rusticated stone walls, narrow arched windows and bartizans with faux arrow slits. This was the center of Alfred Tubbs’ late 19th century wine producing operation-the largest in Calistoga and one of the largest in Napa County in the 1890s, and an important force in promoting the maturing Californian wine industry of the period.
Read the full file on the Alfred L. Tubbs Winery
To see more photographs of National Register properties go
to our photostream on Flickr.
See our Weekly List (with previous highlights)