The” first families”, many of whom were Revolutionary War veterans from the Carolinas and Virginia, began arriving in the Columbia, Tennessee area in
1807, following the opening of the land by treaty with the American Indians who lived in the region. Born in 1811, Washington Miller grew up in Maury County on a farm, the son of Virginian immigrants.
When his father, John Miller, died in 1848, Washington Miller inherited over 200 acres of land and a cotton gin. In 1851 he constructed his new home on this land where he and his wife, Susan, lived. During the Civil
War, armies from both sides crossed the farming land, and Union troops
ransacked cotton bales from Washington Miller’s gin, following the retreat of John Bell Hood’s Confederate Army. The Washington Miller House is a two-story, 1851 frame Greek Revival House. Two-story wings added in 1975
are set back and flank either side of the main block.
Read the full file on the Miller, Washington, House
To see more photographs of National Register properties go
to our photostream on Flickr.
See our Weekly List (with previous highlights)