The Rose City Golf Clubhouse, located at 22OO NE 71'' Avenue in Portland, Oregon, was the second municipal golf course established in Oregon and the oldest surviving example of a municipal golf clubhouse in Portland. The Clubhouse is important to local history as a recreational facility that is integral with the sport of golf's rise in popularity with the general public during the period in which it was developed. Constructed in 1931 and 1932, the clubhouse was designed by Portland architect Herbert A. Angell and constructed by general contractor B. T. Allyn. This clubhouse was built as the main facility for the Rose City Golf Course. Herpert A. Angell's clubhouse design reflected national trends in clubhouse architecture, with many architects adopting specific elements for golf clubhouses. When golf first emerged in the United States in the late 19th century, the game was restricted to members of the country's upper class. Many became acquainted with the Scottish game by joining elite country clubs. During the 1910s and 1920s the clubhouse became the center of social life for the upper and middle classes, as membership in a country club were a mark of distinction.
Read the full file on the Rose City Golf Clubhouse
To see more photographs of National Register properties go
to our photostream on Flickr.
See our Weekly List (with previous highlights)