Located in what is now referred to as the Buena Vista neighborhood of Winston-Salem, the 2 ½ story, 1926-1927 Georgian Revival-style Robert M. Hanes Houses faces east on a large, landscaped lot of 2.48 acres. Robert M. Hanes (1890-1959), was a banker, an economic advisor to post-World War II Europe, and a founder of Research Triangle Park. In 1937, Hanes commissioned New York landscape architect Ellen Shipman to design the rear garden for the residence. Ellen Biddle Shipman (1869-1950) received much of her training through an informal apprenticeship with notable New York architect Charles A. Platt. Between 1914 and 1946 Shipman designed over 650 gardens, with commissions spanning the United States. Her clients included Fords, Astors, duPonts, Goulds, Huttons, Haneses, Dukes, Grays, and other captains of industry and patrons of the arts. In 1933, House and Garden magazine labeled her the “dean of American women architects.” Shipman‘s landscape on the Robert M. Hanes House grounds is the garden that runs from the rear of the house westward to the garden house at the end of the property. Shipman’s plan, including the greatly expanded terrace and some of the plantings, is still retained today.
Read the full file on the Robert M. Hanes
To see more photographs of National Register properties go
to our photostream on Flickr.
See our Weekly List (with previous highlights)