USS Macon Airship Remains, Monterey County, California
When the USS Macon was christened on March 11, 1933, it was the most sophisticated of the Navy’s lighter-than-air (LTA) fleet. The Macon exhibited the highest expression of naval LTA technology during its short career. At 785 feet in length, the airship’s size captured American fascination during flyovers of U.S. communities as chronicled in numerous advertisements, articles, and newsreels. The dramatic loss of the Maconand its sister ship, the Akron,within two years of each other contributed to the cancellation of the Navy’s rigid airship program. The archeological remains of the USS Macon lie off California’s Big Sur coast in NOAA’s Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary. The site also contains the remains of four of the airship’s squadron of small Curtiss F9C-2 Sparrowhawk scout aircraft which the Macon carried in an internal hangar bay.
Read the full file
See our Weekly List
Recent Weekly Highlights