Pythian Home of Missouri, Greene County, Missouri
The Pythian Home is associated with the statewide charitable activities of the Knights of Pythias, a fraternal order which originated in 1864. It served as a home for the needy from 1913-1942, and during World War II was used as a service club for people stationed at nearby O'Reilly General Hospital. It was also used to house German and Italian POWs. This massive stone structure was designed by the Kansas City firm Smith, Rea and Lovitt. Formerly sited in a pastoral setting, much of the surrounding land was developed during the war years. After the war, it was used as an Army Reserve Center for a number of years. In 1993 it was sold as surplus property.
Read the full file
See our Weekly List
Recent Weekly Highlights