National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name Harpers Ferry National Historical Park (Boundary Increase)
Reference Number R_A_16000238
State West Virginia, Virginia
County Jefferson, Loudoun
Town Harpers Ferry
Street Address Harpers Ferry National Historic Park
Multiple Property Submission Name N/A
Status Listed 5/10/2016
Areas of Significance ARCHEOLOGY, INDUSTRY, MILITARY, POLITICS/GOVERNMENT, TRANSPORTATION, SOCIAL HISTORY
Link to full file http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/R_A_16000238.pdf
Image
The Harpers Ferry National Historical Park (HAFE) Nomination Update and Boundary Increase, 2014, is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places under National Register Criteria A, B, C, and D, for national and local significance in the areas of archeology, industry, military, politics/government, social history, and transportation. To date, associated historic contexts established for HAFE are (1) Black Education in the Harpers Ferry/Bolivar area from 1864 to 1955, (2) Patterns of Community Development in the post-Civil War Harpers Ferry area, 1865-1955, (3) Development of Harpers Ferry as a Transportation/Communication Link, (4) Industrial Development of Water Power, and (5) Harpers Ferry in the Civil War. 83 Properties that are included in this boundary increase are all associated with one or more of these historic contexts. With this update, HAFE's period of national significance is established as beginning in 1796, when the United States government first purchased property for an armory at Harpers Ferry, and ends in 1865 when the government decided not to reestablish the armory after the Civil War. The period oflocal significance begins in 1809 when the Armory Woodlot began its use for the charcoal industry ends in 1955 with the closure of Storer College after desegregation. Ongoing and future studies and the further development of historic contexts may necessitate the expansion and/or revision of the significance statement and period of significance.

Any Associated Files

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria