National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name Dublin Plantation
Reference Number R_A_13000918
State Texas
County Guadalupe
Town
Street Address
Multiple Property Submission Name
Status Listed 12/11/2013
Areas of Significance
Link to full file https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/R_A_13000918.pdf
Image
Dublin Plantation is an excellent example of a Guadalupe County farmstead that has remained in the same family since it was established in 1851. Built by George Francis, the house and surrounding fields have changed little since the mid-twentieth century. The primary entrance to the site is from Cottonwood Creek Road (County Road 238). The nominated property encompasses approximately 365 acres of a 735-acre tract purchased by George Francis in 1851. The name Dublin Plantation references George Francis' birth in Ireland. It has been used by several generations of family members. The property is owned today by George Francis' great, great grandson, Sidney J. Francis, II. George and Margaret Ann Rector Francis lived here until the mid-1870s. The tract that includes the farm house was later acquired by their son, Joseph, who also purchased surrounding parcels from his siblings. Joseph Francis managed the farm and lived there until the early 1900s. It was subsequently managed by his son, David Gregg Francis, in partnership with L.D. Brown, and the house was vacant or rented to tenants for several years. After David Gregg Francis died in 1958, his son, Sidney J. Francis, II, took over the farm, repurchasing some acreage and consolidating the tract as it is today. Francis began to restore the house for his personal use in the early 1960s. Today the fields are leased for cattle grazing and to grow hay and wheat.

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria