|Henry Henley Public Library has had a singular role in the history of education in Carthage, Indiana. When opened in 1902, it was the first purpose-designed library building for the community, and for the past one hundred and fourteen years, it has served as the only public library for the town. The idea of a public library for Carthage began with a meeting in 1889, during which local merchant and early resident Henry Henley donated $1,000 toward a library fund. The Henley family ultimately donated almost half of the construction costs, not including donations by Henry Henley for furnishings. The town's commitment to the public library movement is underscored by the fact that the two nearest communities that founded their own library buildings, Knightstown (1912) and Rushville (1930), took longer than Carthage to do so, despite having significantly greater populations and support from Andrew Carnegie.