|The Greek Revival-style District No.4 School in Petersham, MA, retains integrity of location, setting, materials, design, workmanship, feeling, and association, and meets Criteria A and C with a local level of significance. Remarkably well-preserved, and one of two extant one-room schoolhouses in Petersham, the District No.4 School meets Criterion A for its association with the district system of education. The building, which operated as a school from its construction in 1846 through its closure in 1943, is the oldest extant school in Petersham. Also known as the First East, or Ledgeville, School, the building also meets Criterion A for its association with community activities, including lyceum lectures, dramatic performances, 4-H club meetings, social events, and whist parties hosted by the Ledgeville Association. During World War II, the school became a gathering place to make bandages for the Red Cross. District No. 4 School meets Criterion C as a well-preserved example of a wood-frame, gable-end, Greek Revivalstyle, one-room district school building. The period of significance begins with the construction of the building, and ends 50 years prior to the date of listing.