|The Curtiss-Wright Aeroplane Factory located at 130 Banshee Road in Hazelwood, unincorporated St. Louis County, Missouri, is eligible for local listing in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) under Criterion A in association with INDUSTRY and MILITARY relative to the mobilization of the United States Army and Air Forces in preparation for and participation within World War II. The property is primarily significant in the context of World War II Aviation as an excellent example of an "Aviation Development Facility and Production Plant" where engineering research and design occurred and subsequently the development and technology of air power for military aviation purposes was perfected and implemented with complete aeroplanes during its active use between 1941 and 1946. In addition, the property is associated with the larger United States context of "World War II and the American Home Front" as developed by the National Park Service. Aeroplanes were designed, built, and flown directly out of the building and into the field - contributing immensely to the mobilization effort on the home front for both the Allied Forces and U.S. military. The story of the primary historic occupant, Curtiss-Wright (C-W), IS the story of American aviation itself (Appendix 1). Rooted in the barnstorming tradition of renowned pilot, Glenn Hammond Curtiss, as well as with the inventors of manned-flight, Orville and Wilbur Wright, heads of each successor firm ultimately came together in an effort to harness that genius when it combined the two and formed C-W in 1929. Curtiss' airframe inventions coupled with the superior engine designs of Wright, elevated the company to national prominence by World War II and they became the largest defense contractor in the world.