|Beginning with its establishment in 1887 along the Fort Worth and Denver City Railroad, the city of Childress, Texas, grew to become a regionally-important commercial and civic center in an area based largely on a ranching and agricultural economy. The Childress Commercial & Civic Historic District includes an impressive assortment of significant commercial, civic, educational, and recreation properties that reflect the thoughtfully-planned physical development of the city through the post-World War II period. The central business district north of the railroad tracks features a variety of commercial architecture found throughout the state, especially in the South Plains and Panhandle regions, reflecting vernacular tastes, and interpretations of popular and high-style design. The district also includes several significant architect-designed civic and educational buildings from the early and mid-twentieth century, as well as several examples of New Deal Era construction, including a massive high school football stadium. The overall feeling of the district, which is laid out in distinct functional zones along eight city blocks, is very much intact. The district is nominated under Criterion A in the areas of Commerce and Community Planning and Development, and Criterion C in the area of Architecture, at the local level of significance. The period of significance spans from 1892, which is the date of the earliest extant resource in the district, to 1966, which is the fifty-year cutoff for National Register eligibility.