|Attlebury Schoolhouse, constructed in 1910, is significant under Criterion A at the local level for its association with rural education in the Town of Stanford during the early twentieth century. Built after the hamlet of Attlebury's nineteenth-century school burned in an accidental fire, the modest one-room, frame schoolhouse served not only as a center of education but also a hub for the rural community. In contrast to the old school building, a repurposed house, the new school building's form and design are clearly drawn from nineteenth century models of one-room schoolhouse construction; although this form was well-established by the early twentieth century, it was outmoded. Although the school served Attlebury well, it was built on the cusp of New York's push toward increased school centralization across the state. Within two decades, Dutchess County's rural, one-room schoolhouses were seen as outmoded and efforts were being made to replace them with central schools. After 35 years of use, the Attlebury Schoolhouse was closed in 1945; children from the hamlet were sent to the Pine Plains Central School which had been built over a decade earlier. The only remaining rural district school in Stanford that remains unconverted and intact to its historic appearance, the Attlebury Schoolhouse illustrates the history of rural education in the town before centralization.