National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name Richmond Terrace Cemeteries
Reference Number 16000112
State New York
County Richmond
Town Staten Island
Street Address 1562 Richmond Terrace and 25 Van Street
Multiple Property Submission Name N/A
Status Listed 3/22/2016
Areas of Significance Settlement, Funerary Art
Link to full file http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/16000112.pdf
Image
The Richmond Terrace Cemeteries are eligible under Criterion A in the areas of settlement and social history for their ability to provide information about the settlement and nineteenth-century history of the New Brighton area of Staten Island. The nomination comprises three contiguous burial grounds - Trinity Chapel, Staten Island, and Fountain Cemeteries - with intermingled histories and permeable boundaries. The cemeteries, which developed generally during the same time period, served a mix of cultural and ethnic groups who helped to found the Factoryville/West New Brighton area, an industrial and commercial location that was established around Barrett, Tileston and Company, a concern that opened around 1820. Factoryville was the first industrial neighborhood on the island. Trinity Chapel Cemetery, the earliest of the three cemeteries, developed prior to the industrial era and was the burial ground for an early Episcopal church, Trinity Chapel, built in 1802 (no longer extant); when the church was demolished, some of its interments were moved into the Staten Island Cemetery. Staten Island Cemetery, officially established in 1851, contains interments related to several different groups. In the 1840s West New Brighton saw an influx of Irish immigrants who sought employment in the neighborhood's prospering factories; many lived nearby and are buried in State Island Cemetery. A Public Poor Ground was also developed to the far rear of Staten Island Cemetery to serve children, all under the age of two, beginning in the 1850s. However, Staten Island Cemetery also incorporates an earlier African American cemetery founded by Joseph Ryerss, who established a family burial ground, or a Homestead Graveyard, on his property in 1829. African Americans were buried in the Staten Island Cemetery until 1847. No headstones from this early cemetery survive, but its location was documented by Staten Island historians in the 1920s. Staten Island Cemetery also retains evidence of its 1851 design by a "Mr. Charlton." The natural topography and vegetation of the property was preserved and it retains a parklike settling. As a non-sectarian neighborhood cemetery established during the nineteenth century, Fountain Cemetery was a choice burial ground for the ordinary resident. People from all nationalities, races, and religions are buried within the cemetery. Together, these three cemeteries document all aspects of nineteenth and early twentieth century settlement in this neighborhood.

Any Associated Files

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria