|The Ferd. Heim Brewing Company Bottling Plant, located at 507 N. Montgall, Kansas City, Jackson County, Missouri, is eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places and is locally significant under Criterion A in the area of INDUSTRY and under Criterion C in the area of ARCHITECTURE. The bottling plant is the most intact representation of the Ferd Heim Brewery. Modern intrusion and demolition has compromised the rest of the complex. The Ferd. Heim Brewing Company Bottling Plant, completed in 1901, played a prominent role in the growth and success of the Heim brewery, which became the largest producing brewery west of St. Louis during the pre-prohibition years. As the final step in the overall brewing production, the bottling plant was considered by the industry as an important part of the brewery process.6 When the new bottling plant was put into operation, production capacity reached nearly 125,000 bottles of lager beer daily. The two-story industrial building as situated along the historic Missouri Pacific Railroad tracks gave the Heim brewery easy transfer and distribution to their refrigerated fleet of railroad cars. As the work of a master, the Heim Bottling Plant was designed by Charles A. Smith, a prominent Kansas City architect, and constructed by the local firm of Hucke and Sexton.7 In designing the two-story bottling plant building, Charles A. Smith borrowed from the Second Renaissance Revival vocabulary, where facade detailing is symmetrical, first story fenestration is arched, and the roofline is marked by an embellished cornice and shaped parapet. Designed early in Smith's career in Kansas City, the Ferd. Heim Brewing Company Bottling Plant represents a unique phase in his prolific architectural practice and its overall form and scale heralded much of his institutional designs throughout Kansas City. Furthermore, the building appears to be the only extant industrial building of its style, serving as a stand-alone bottling facility for the Heim Brewing Company from 1901 through 1918 when the brewery ended their business due to prohibition. In 1977 a one-story concrete warehouse was constructed on adjacent lots to the south of the plant. In 2014, structural changes were made to the warehouse to expose the southern facade of the 1901 building, at which time a removable roof and wall structure were added between the two buildings to stop severe water damage that was a threat to the original foundation of the bottling plant. The period of significance is from the date of construction in 1901 through 1918, the year that Prohibition laws were enacted under the Volstead Act.