National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

National Register of Historic Places Program

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

 

Property Name Winchester Historic District 2015 Boundary Increase
Reference Number 15000963
State Virginia
County Winchester
Town Winchester
Street Address Amherst, Boscawen, Gerrard, Pall Mall, Stewart, and other streets
Multiple Property Submission Name N/A
Status Listed 1/5/2016
Areas of Significance COMMUNITY PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT, EXPLORATION/SETTLEMENT, POLITICS/GOVERNMENT, SOCIAL HISTORY, ARCHITECTURE
Link to full file https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/15000963.pdf
Image
The Winchester Historic District 2015 Boundary Increase adds approximately 170 acres to the Winchester Historic District, the historic core of Winchester, Virginia. The district was originally listed in the state and national registers in 1979-1980 and has been enlarged or updated on several occasions, most recently by this boundary increase which enlarges the approximately 240-acre existing district to approximately 410 acres. The Winchester Historic District 2015 Boundary Increase is locally significant under Criterion A in the Community Planning and Development area of significance for its inclusion of historic downtown neighborhoods associated with the development of Winchester, principally the Amherst and Stewart street corridors and adjacent residential blocks and areas of the colonial town at the south end of the existing historic district. The district also is significant under Criterion A in the area of Exploration/Settlement for its inclusion of the individually NRHP-listed Glen Burnie and the area of Government/Politics for the individually NRHP-listed Hawthorne and Old Town Spring, which is the site of a historic spring and springhouse often cited in Winchester's history and land conveyances and that represent an unusually well-documented early municipal water distribution system purchased by the City in 1840. The Boundary Increase Area is locally significant under Criterion B in the area of Social History for Hawthorne and Old Town Spring's for association with Cornelia Peake McDonald. The Boundary Increase Area is locally significant under Criterion C in the area of Architecture for the diversity and quality of its buildings which span Winchester's architectural development from the Georgian style through the Modern Movement and embody distinctive characteristics of types, periods, and methods of construction. The period of significance extends from ca. 1794, the date of construction for the oldest surviving section of Glen Burnie cited in the National Register nomination for the house, to 1964 in keeping with the end date of the existing historic district's period of significance as recently updated and a date that roughly coincides with a drop off in residential construction in Winchester's historic core area. The year 1889 is noted as a significant date because the construction of a rail line marked a watershed event in the development of the Boundary Increase Area.

Any Associated Files

 

Weekly List Search Page

Properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places under four criteria: A, B, C, and D. For information on what these criterion are and how they are applied, please see our Bulletin on How to Apply the National Register Criteria