|The Lisbon Methodist Church is locally significant and eligible for the National Register of Historic Places under Criteria A and C. Under Criterion A, the Lisbon Methodist Church is associated with the religious and social history of the community of Lisbon. The church was completed in 1899, when the Lisbon Methodist Church had but 150 members and shared their resident minister with several other area churches as part of the Lisbon-Mechanicsville Circuit. The new church was in fact a community endeavor, paid for and dedicated not only by members of the Lisbon Methodist Church, but also by members of other denominational churches and non-religious residents of Lisbon (population about 950), the neighboring town of Mount Vernon, and rural Franklin Township. Under Criterion C, the Lisbon Methodist Church is an important example of the work of Josselyn & Taylor, a prominent Cedar Rapids architectural firm active in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. It is also the only extant church known to have been designed by the Cedar Rapids architects. Large and fashionable in its Late Victorian combination of Queen Anne and Shingle Style, the Lisbon Methodist Church was an Akron Plan church, a design originating in Akron, Ohio, that articulated the Social Gospel movement through architecture. With its open, pie-shaped auditorium and multi-purpose interior plan, the church building reflected ideals central to the Social Gospel, which advocated an enlarged social and educational role for evangelical religious institutions. These new functions required new ecclesiastical architecture that provided libraries, large Sunday school classrooms, and social rooms for community gatherings and missionary and charitable work. Throughout its period of significance, 1899-1965, the Lisbon Methodist Church continued to reflect its Social Gospel roots as an educational and social center for the Lisbon community.