|The L. Harbach & Sons Co . Warehouse and Factory Complex is locally significant under Criterion A Industry and Criterion A- Commerce for its association with pioneering furniture manufacturer in Des Moines and one of the largest furniture wholesalers in Iowa, L. Harbach & Sons Co., followed successively by two other leading furniture retailers/wholesalers who owned and occupied the buildings through the period of significance. The buildings represent the industrial and commercial roles played in Des Moines and in Iowa by L. Harbach & Sons, a company and a family that made important commercial , real estate, and civic contributions to Des Moines from the 1850s through the 1920s-and these buildings are rare surviving extant buildings constructed by the Harbach family that represent their significant contributions to Des Moines. The factory and warehouse also are associated with two other leading Iowa furniture retail families, the Davidsons and the Ginsbergs, during their successive use and ownership of the buildings from the 1920s through 1985. The Ginsberg company tailored the warehouse to meet the evolving needs of furniture warehousing and distribution as trucking replaced rail transit. The period of significance dates from the construction of the buildings (1906) through the 50-year cutoff (1965), denoting the continued ownership and use of the buildings by three major Des Moines-based furniture companies.